Post natal massage is very important as it helps a woman reconnect back with her body after pregnancy. With all the demands that come with motherhood, it is necessary that new mothers take time to heal and with massage, this healing will be faster. As the body starts to revert to the pre-pregnancy status, most women start disassociating with their physical self. It is normally given for the first 40 days after birth.
Benefits of Doing a Post Natal Massage
- The process of child birth is normally tough on the mother and it puts a strain on her body, particularly the hips, abdomen, and lower back. The upper back can also suffer soreness during breastfeeding, if you are not using the correct position. Post natal massage is used to relax muscle tension and to ease sore spots.
- The massage releases the toxins through an increase in blood and oxygen flow in the body system.
- Endorphins are released during the post natal massage. Endorphins are feel good and natural pain killer hormones which are secreted in the brain. You will definitely feel relaxed.
- Post natal massage helps to release Oxytocin, which is a letdown reflex that releases milk from the breast. Which is good for the baby and it means, you have to put on your breastfeeding bra or breastpads during the exercise.
- A breast massage can be done to open blocked breast duct, loosen hardened areas, and reduce the risk of you having mastitis. Let it be moderate as vigorous breast massage can do more harm than good.
- The lymp flow is improved thus improving the well being and immunity of the mother and baby
- Through post natal massage, the mother will be able to cope with post natal depression and baby blues.
- You will be able to get some time alone during the massage which gives you the strength to cope with the home and baby management afterwards.
For Caesarean Case
If you had caesarean section, you need to take precaution during this post natal massage. Make sure you wait until the scar is completely healed before you start getting massages. This could mean a week or two after giving birth. Get it right from your doctor. When you start it, make sure you let the massager know about the scar so that they keep away from it because any pressure around that area after birth might cause problems.